Saturday, May 8, 2010

Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mom

My mom always says she's glad I picked her.

That was always a funny concept to me. I imagined that way up in the fluffy clouds of heaven was a long line of moms, waiting expectantly to be picked by diaper-clad babies that floated by on little cloud poufs.

I'm glad I picked her too. She would let me stay home from school to learn how to sew, play duets with us on the piano, let us paint the furniture, cook a different meal almost every night, hold us tight in a warm blanket when we got out of the bath and let us have M&M's for dinner when dad was out of town. She even put up with me during my moody teens and sent me the best care packages when I left for college.

I'm not a mom, so I have no idea what it is like to love a child, but I do know what it is like to receive the love of a mother, and I appreciate how special that is. All of you with children, I admire you, your patience, the love you give, and the very important role you play in another human being's life. Saying "thank you" would never seem like enough, nor could the world's largest bear hug, but Mama, I love you, and I hope you know how special you are to me.

-Jessie, Santa Fe, NM

1 comment:

  1. Awww...
    In spite of the M&M's you two have been the BEST children a mother could have had. Thank you, thank you for picking me!

    ReplyDelete