Sunday, February 28, 2010

petites lumières


fish night light (photo by Gabe Holton).


my coyote fence in the front courtyard.


metal star-light on the back deck.


palm plant.


box lights (made by the crafty Margaret Emma Lane).


bedroom star-light.


my bedroom birdcage light.
(i also have a birdcage obsession,
but only own 2 so far because they're so damned expensive.
i scored this one at a yard sale for 25¢).
......................................................................................................

I've got a hankerin' for ambient light. I can't shake it.

The florescent bulbs of hospitals or classrooms insult mine eyes, (no offense to Dan Flavin, of course) and I just can't seem to find a love for stark overhead lights, unless dimmed significantly, or shielded by a beautiful fixture. Perhaps I'm a romantic? Or maybe I just need my home to calm me, to glow instead of glare.
My collection includes several strands of christmas lights that hang year-round, candles that perch in almost every room, hanging paper lanterns, a lava lamp, antique table and floor lamps, 3 night-lights, outdoor stone lanterns, and even a glowing piece of petrified wood.
Yes, this need for little lights even leaks into the outdoor spaces of my casa, making the place seem bigger, like illuminated outdoor rooms in the night.
So while some of you are cut off from purchasing yarn or tape, I'm cut off from the candle aisle. And, ok, so I'm still working on quitting the old stock-up-now-while-the-selection's-hot! christmas light sections each december.
There is just something so seductive and inviting about a lowly-lit area, like being out under a full moon and the nurturing starry sky. All becomes shadows and beautiful grey areas.

So is this why I deeply love Paris, the city of light? And the fireworks and sparklers of July 4th? The traditional faralitos of Santa Fe?

Twinkle, twinkle little lights. You totally turn me on.

-Cameron: Santa Fe, NM
......................................................................................................

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! The reason I didn't have a brunch (another of my favorite things) wedding was because I needed twinkle lights in the eve! Lately I've been drawn to the salt rock candle holders....might have to do a themed out party...

    ReplyDelete