Saturday, February 6, 2010

Two-Dolla Bill Mission: Bring 'em Back!

This is Cameron. Nickname Cron (pronounced see-ron). Hometown being Charlottesville, VA. This was also home to former president Thomas Jefferson. He named his casa Monticello, which means "small mountain" in Italiano, because he built it atop a small mountain just outside the town.
When I was a wee one, and first visited the house, they gave out two dollar bills as part of the touring experience. A collection ensued.
So what's the story behind the un-common use, and yet not technically discontinued use, of these bills? C'mon, they're mad-convenient, whether it's for leaving tips or buying a soft drink.
So over the years, I started asking for them at the bank. And each time I used one, I almost always received some kind of reaction and conversation as a result. Sweet!
So begins the two-dollar-bill log. I confessed to Jessie recently, and we actually ran into each other at the bank asking for them.
Story #1 occured on Thursday evening at the Fort Marcy gym. See, the price for admission to the pool is $1.85 (and has been for years. awesome.), so I pulled out a crisp $2 bill, handed it to the woman at the counter, and she proceeded to say, "Wow. I haven't seen one of these in such a long time. People usually ask to swap me for them as soon as they come in." I smiled, and turned just before I entered the locker room: I saw her putting two singles in the drawer, and pocket the two herself. YES!
So, your mission, should you choose to accept it:
If you spend a two-dollar bill, and have a good story from it, please share it here. I think Jessie already has a story #2 to contribute? Let's keep these puppies out and in circulation. I want them to stick around!
Ladies, are you with us?
p.s. Perhaps food for a future blog: how do we feel about recent threats to discontinue the clink-change?

-Cameron: Santa Fe, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment