Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Winter Tribute I: Hipstamatic Instamatic Style

I love vintage photography; old, worn, bordered photos with overexposed smiles fading into the background. I love the muted colors and gritty prints, and most of all I love the sound an SX-70 Polaroid makes as it spits out the blurred, still-developing photo. I remember the nostalgic sound of my mom winding film in her Pentax 35mm camera and the click of the shutter as my brother and I held toothy grins in place.

My only camera is a first edition iPhone, no film, no focus, no flash, no pops, no whirs, no clicks. Not even 5 megapixels, but just good ol' digital, faded graininess.

The other day, I happened to be reading the blog, Persuing the Picture Perfect Wedding, authored by the ever-talented photographer, Gia Canali. She is a real-deal photographer that specializes in vintage process photography and printing. She is also the owner of an iPhone and turned me onto the highly-addictive, "Hipstamatic" , an application that brings back the look, feel, unpredictable beauty, and fun of plastic toy cameras from the past and has her taking pics with her iPhone "all the live long day". Hmmmmm, can it be that cool?
For a mere $1.99 I am able to get funky, arty, overexposed, soft focus, saturated pictures, all digitally saved to my iPhone photo library. It even satisfies my love for the sound of shutter clicks and flash pops that "real" cameras, with "real" film make. Hooray!

So without further ado, a Winter Tribute via my new "Hipstamatic" instamatic iPhone digital camera.
-Jessie, Santa Fe, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment